Friday, November 21, 2008

Surf Movie Review – Dude Cruise

Since I have been recently getting more and more into surfing I when to my local board shop and pick up the new DC surf video called Dude Cruise.


Dude Cruise is the first movie from Irons Bros. Productions, the new film company formed by Bruce and Andy Irons, and the first-ever movie featuring the DC surf team and just the DC surf team.

The concept of the film is a DC team trip, with Bruce Irons, Dane Reynolds, Ry Craike, and amateur Garret Parks, through Australia for a two-week road trip complete with world class surfing, and a view into the boy's personalities. Have you every wondered what it is like to experience a surf trip through Bruce Irons' or Dane Reynolds' eyes? With this movie you get an inside view of what a two week surf trip with the world's top surfers is really like. Dude Cruise shows sessions start to finish--not just the banger clips--to offer a more realistic look at what happens when you're just out with your friends having a good time.


Now for the review

1) Soundtrack

The soundtrack to Dude Cruise is amazing with many big name artists on the bill. Some of the names dropping songs in this flick are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Beck and NIN. The soundtrack is also properly placed with the flow of the scene. My favourite soundtrack scene is Bruce Irons’ outro with Lost Valentinos “17 Deaths” and Dane Reynolds intro with NIN.

I have to say that I really only seen a few surf videos but this soundtrack is the best I have seen even considering all the snowboarding videos I’ve watched.

2) Cinematography

Cinematography within the movie was well done, it wasn’t ground breaking just good. I have to say that I really appreciated seeing a full session of riding rather than just the highlights from a session. It gave me more of a realistic sense of surfing rather that just seeing all the bangers. It kind of reminded me of watch Robot Foods Lame, a snowboard video along the same concept as Dude Cruise. It was just fun to watch.

3) Segments / Riders

Since the flick was filmed all Australia the scenes blending in a bit too much but the segment that got me amp was Bruce Irons’ outro scene. With the combination of Bruce’s powerful surfing and the kick ass song it was an awesome scene. Over I think Dane Reynolds was amazing…man that guy have a lot of style when surfing and the tricks and airs where off the charts.

4) Extras

The extras segment in Dude Cruise consists of all the trailers, photos from the trip and the car crash scene. They also offer director commentary throughout the movie if you turn that option on in the extras segment…it pretty cool.

5) Overall

Overall Dude Cruise was an amazing surf video with world class surfer. The only downside is that the flick seemed short, even though it was about 40mins and I was hoping for a bit more variety in locations. But still if you want to see cutting edge surfing at it’s best get Dude Cruise…it will amp you up to hit the waves.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey whassup
im really curious about this movie but its not out in my country.. can u send it to me? props