Friday, August 15, 2008

Here I am

How’s it going? I’m Mike and I started this blog to share my passion for snowboard and mountain culture along with my love for travel.

I’m originally from Southern Ontario were I was raised by two amazing parents who supported me no matter what I was into. My parents bought a condo at a ski resort in Blue Mountain, which is 1 ½ hours north of Toronto, and with that they got me into skiing at about age 11. My aunt bought my first ski setup as a gift when I was 13 years old and I kept up with the two planker descent for about 4 years. While skiing at Blue Mtn one weekend I was introduced to a snowboard and since then never strapped on a pair skis again.

Years past and I was content with snowboarding on the “IceCoast” at my home resort in Ontario, but one trip to Whistler, BC changed all that. I was sent out on a business trip to Vancouver and decided to go early and spend the weekend in Whistler since I have read so many good stories about the riding there. Those two days of riding in Whistler would prove to be a driving force that changed in my life. Almost exactly a year after that first trip to Whistler I quit my corporate job and packed my bags for a season in the BC coastal mountain town…..Whistler here I come.

That winter season living in Whistler I did nothing but snowboard and I know what your thinking, where did you work? Well I didn’t work….thanks stolen car insurance money. I funded my snowboard lifestyle with some savings and a lot from the insurance money I got from my stolen Honda Civic. This was the best thing I’ve done to date and it has only fueled my passion and respect for the mountains and the culture even more.

Now I live in Vancouver, back to a corporate job, and commute to Whistler quite often, especially in the winter. People always ask me don’t you get bored snowboarding, mountain biking and hiking all the time. My answer to them is “NO”! Snowboarding and the mountains are my ZEN.

Until next time, see ya.
Mike

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Vincent @ The Magic Network said...

Woohoo! Sounds like you did the right thing buddy! Good on ya!

Shayboarder said...

Hey Mike, awesome you started your blog! I'll have to let you know when I hit up Telus next year and we can meet up, awesome to see whistler from a blog perspective